Sunday 22 November 2009

Clowning Around



While I was out shopping yesterday I spotted a set of three clown figurines that really excited me. I'm not particularly fond of clowns, or figurines, but do you ever just see an object and think 'oh I really want to photograph that!'. I had no idea what I would do with them, just that it was going to be fun finding out.

I had originally intended to spend some time this weekend redoing the scrabble shots for mod 4, because there was some overexposure in the corners of the original, but instead I have ended up combining the scrabble tiles and clowns to come up with this picture.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I just really like how its turned out. Now I'm not sure which subject to submit...

For this shot I used two of the clowns, backlit by my trusty desklamp, to provide the shadows on the wall, and I used a torch to put a spotlight on the clown in the foreground (I was hoping for a sort of Boris Karloff effect, with harsh shadows to increase the creepiness of the shot but had to compromise because his shiny surface made it really hard to expose). I intentionally underexposed by a couple of stops to darken the shot and add to the creepy atmosphere. I'm not sure whether that comes across to anyone other than me though.

As ever, comments good/bad/indifferent are always welcome :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment